Do your friends/family know that you collect?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that makes me feel a little better, brittygotchi and carol_tama! :p I am friends with you both on here haha. At least there's someone who likes them around my age. I'm also really into pokemon and I feel like that's more socially acceptable for my age group.
We both play pokemon, I have Y and Britty X if I'm not mistaken. ;) // sorry for the offtop

Im in the mid 20s era... got my first one around age 9 or 10 too.

Pretty much everyone around me (Family and friends included) are good with the idea that I raise and collect virtual pets... despite me being 27 years old. As a matter of fact, most of them are occasionally curious when I see them to see how the pets are doing as well.

So yeah, in my case the people around me are pretty supportive of the idea. :)

Pretty much everyone around me (Family and friends included) are good with the idea that I raise and collect virtual pets... despite me being 27 years old. As a matter of fact, most of them are occasionally curious when I see them to see how the pets are doing as well.

So yeah, in my case the people around me are pretty supportive of the idea. :)
Well, lucky you. ^^Here, in Poland, people are by nature very judgemental and that's why I would be simply afraid to show my pets in public. ;P

My friends do know I collect tamagotchi, and their quite fine with it; I actually buy their old tama's off their hands, so they get some money and I get a cool new addition to my *small, but growing* family. win-win for everyone! Some people do give me flack about it sometimes, but in the end I can almost gaurntee that those people played with them as well, so why do I care?

As for my family, my immideate (mom, dad & siblings) do, and their a-ok with it! My mom actually likes them because she said it was the only toy I used to take care of when I was younger, and it taught you responsoblity/time managment. I still think to this day it's one of the only toys she'd approve me buying. Even last week I bought some off ebay, and she was excited to see them come in the mail!

For my sisters, it's brought us closer together; something that we could bond over and talk about. My sister turned 12 saturday, and she dose'nt know it, but I have a v4.5 PC pack in the mail for her! I sometimes even see her on youtube drooling over the tama's. I'm glad I have tamagotchi back in my life. <3

Only my mom and sister know that I recently started collecting them again. My sister rolls her eyes and scoffs when she sees them, and often makes fun of them. We both used to love them when we were little, but she pretends not to remember hardly anything about them. However, whenever I have them around, she tends to ask me about them. Yesterday, she even asked to play a game! I think she might be a little jealous, so she covers it up by being mean. :p My mom loves that I have them because they make me less stressed and really happy. She often asks how they are doing because she knows that it makes me happy. Most of my friends would not be supportive, however.

Mom knows, obviously, and she is cool with it. Sister doesn't care, brother knows because he bought me my akais, iD and Tama Go and sees it as any other hobby, some of my mom's friends know, and good friends know. Not a big deal, I guess.

not all of them

*begins rambling*

people tend to look at my cases more often than the toy they conceal

I don't really take them out often, tho

maybe to kill some time in a car or whatever

Usually, I play video games

people don't really ask about your Tamagotchi when you've pulled out an original Gameboy while in public

my computers, gaming consoles, crafts, puzzles, koi pond *shot* etc., tend to overshadow my collection whenever people show up, so not very many are made aware of my collection

Still, I do own a fair amount of Tamagotchi, and people seem to react positively when they actually notice them. People who've had Tamagotchi light up a bit more when they see my v-pets than when a fellow computer nerd or retro gamer sees my set-ups

Talking about something like Tamagotchi is a great icebreaker, in the right situation

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends and family know that I found mine again the other day and put fresh batteries in them, and when I brought them to school last week (I'm 17 and a senior in US high school), a bunch of my friends got all excited and told me stories about their old tamas. The senior class as a whole may be having a tamagotchi party tomorrow if enough others find theirs. We all got ours around the time V3s were released in the USA. I kinda kick started the craze when I bought my translucent pink V3 in fifth grade. When I told some of my old friends and fellow tama owners from elementary school, they were surprised to hear that their tamas from 7+ years ago are still in my V3's friend list! I'm already a bit of an oddball (in a good way) so it's not very surprising to them...

All of my family knows I collect them and are totally cool with it, but I just told one of my friends a while ago and they seem kind of weirded out by it :( . Which is strange, because they're usually really nice and accepting about everything. Kinda sad, really.

My Husband knows and doesn't seem to care. I purchased the P's without telling him about it and when it came I started playing with it like nothing was wrong, I didn't try to hide it. Obviously he asked what it was and the like but never said anything bad. The other day he even listened to my story about how my very first Tama got stolen, and he said he was sorry some (bleep) stole my pet. But as for everyone else...I try to keep it tucked away in my bag and play with it in there where no one can see. Occasionally my Dad comes to the house and I don't try to hide it from him or anything either but people I don't trust I tend to keep it to myself.

Well, I've had a conversation about it today with my mom and she seems to be finally accepting it in 100%. :D

I told my co-workers about it the other day, one was super supportive and told me about the awesome times she had with hers, but the other one was like "uhh... what?".

My family knows and doesn't really care, and my fiance is SUPER supportive about me collecting them. He thinks they're cute, and I always listen to him rambling on about graphics cards and PC parts and whatnot, so he encourages me to talk about my tamas and what's new with them. He's just my favourite :wub:

Most of my non-tamagotchi online friends are okay with that, I even got a v3 to one of my better ones for Saint Nicholas Day (another day in December in Europe where you have to buy gifts for your family... gifts or sweets) and she likes it. Thinking about getting her a v4 and also a tama for my gf even though I'm still kind of hurt by her... She loves her pets on Subeta and her Pou so guess she'd also love a tamagotchi.

My husband knows, and will even play with one on occasion. My parents knew, but did'nt care. (Both are deceased now). Mom-in-law knows, and thinks they are "complicated" lol.

My family and friends know. Some of them are a little weirded out and some people from work make jokes about it behind my back. Ah well, it won't make me love my Tama's any less :)

All of my family know, parents don't entirely approve though they have stopped making comments. My fiancé plays with them on occasion (he likes to claim he can beat me at all the games :p ) and my friends know and will ask me about my collection is coming along, they don't seem to disapprove so I'll take that as a win lol

My parents know and fully accept I collect tamas, and have given me several tamas as birthday presents in the recent past. I actually asked for the P's for my 25th birthday- which is in a few days SO.. fingers crossed! My parents are also collectors of fairly unique things themselves, so they aren't at all judgmental about my choice to collect toys ^_^ My friends are also well aware- and are indifferent to it! Some are more interested than others. I've even busted out my tamas to feed them etc. while out, like at bars, etc and people are usually always interested and fascinated by them. :lol:

Yes... I know my dad doesn't likes it much, but my mom and my sister likes it. Also, when I took mt Tama to school, no one really made fun of it, they lliked it, and wanted to play a game... but I doesn't like my tama in their hands. That's selfish, I know, but i treat my tama like a piece of glass, and they really don't treat it like I do. -_- I also managed to make a friend of mine to buy one, but his mom won't let him take it to school :angry:

They know and don't really care because they're not wasting money on buying me iPhones and cases because I don't want one but that's good news for them right? I feel left out sometimes in school since most girls talk about "Forever 21" and iPhones and shopping in the mall :< but I do love Tamagotchi's forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back