Kid dies after immitating a cartoon.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meowbark

September 2008 Contest Winner
Reaction score
I know this is rather, old new's to me. But I just remember'd to post it here. (It was just brought up in another forum)

Sometime back, a few month's ago. Up in Everett, Washington. Codey Porter, a 10 year old boy died after immitating a cartoon inwhich he saw. Thinking it would be a EXCELLENT idea to copy it, he and his playmate's went to his sandbox, and his playmate's buried Porter in a foot of sand copying the cartoon.

It will be a BIG surprise what "Cartoon" it is as well. Don't spoil the surprise if you already know!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/MindMoodNews/story?id=4430328&

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wTeiIOeBk9g&feature=related The official new's report.

What I want to know...

Where are the parent's?

Why the the other kid's not help him when he was thrashing around?

How can ANYONE not be able to get themself's out of a foot of sand?

And many....many more.

I lol at the News reporter's mispronouciation's of the show's name.

Oh and to the News' reporters on the YT video. STOP BLAMING CARTOON'S FOR WHAT KID'S DO!

Makes me mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where were the parents? I mean, a fifth grader is usually old enough to go play by himself with a group of friends. Why didn't they help? It says in the vid. on the first link they thought he was joking. How can you anyone not get out? Have you ever been to a beach and dug your foot in a few inches? Sure, it's not that tough because it's only a little bit but but could you image your whole body? Obviously the forced needed to get your whole body out is much more- I mean, that's pounds of sand on ya!

I think it was just a freak accident and a very sad one at that. :unsure:

As you said, that's old news. ^^

But otherwise, I'd blame the parents for not installing any sense of logic into the child. I mean, he's ten. Most ten-year-olds know that not everything they see on television is physically possible. Hell, I knew this when I was four. And besides that, that specific anime he was watching is not even intended for ten-year olds, so I don't see how anyone can make a substantial argument blaming the anime.

I looked at a related video where a highschool student copied Death Note, writing kids names in his own version of the book, thats disturbing.

Now to the subject, They shouldn't blame the show. If they take Naruto off the air because of this I will be beyond mad.

Poor child.

I can barely imagine what it would feel like to be suffocating while inhaling sand, and how afraid I would be when I couldn't breath, couldn't escape, it would be horrible.

;~;

Poor child.

I kind of wonder what it would feel like too. But i don't think i'll try it.

yeah, that is a pretty freakinsh accident. But it was in a backyard, don't you think someone would see their child buried face-first in a sandbox? When i first read it, i really wanted to know what the cartoon was. i was kinda surprised. you can't really blame TV for what kids do... but I guess it does have an influence.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think a lot less accidents would happen if the wasnt tv. heck, the whole WORLD we live in is affected by tv!!! if there wasnt tv kids wouldnt be into drugs sex and smoking. if there wasnt tv than plenty of kids woulld'nt have killed themselves by jumping off of boats and cruises to see spongebob.... and plenty of kids would'nt die because of ideas they get from cartoons!!!! !! if there wasnt any tv the world we live in today would be a WHOLE lot better.........well if you got kids to read more maybe stufff like this would'nt happen.. and dont get the wrong idea that kids would come across a book about drugs sex and smoking because that probably would'nt be lying around the house of anyone i know.

Where were the parents? I mean, a fifth grader is usually old enough to go play by himself with a group of friends. Why didn't they help? It says in the vid. on the first link they thought he was joking. How can you anyone not get out? Have you ever been to a beach and dug your foot in a few inches? Sure, it's not that tough because it's only a little bit but but could you image your whole body? Obviously the forced needed to get your whole body out is much more- I mean, that's pounds of sand on ya!
I think it was just a freak accident and a very sad one at that. :unsure:
Well I think one of the parent's should have seen Codey in the ground... T_T

And a foot of sand isn't that heavy, really. I did it before, except with my arm's.

I heard about that a long time ago.

What were these kid thinking?

I mean, when I was in 5th grade I wouldn't have done something as stupid as putting my body under sand to imitate a show. If I tryed to, my friends would have surely would have stopped me. I blame the parents. As meowbark said, I wish the news reporters would stop blaming the show. Seriously, a show can't make kids do stupid things.

[SIZE=7pt]Oh, thats very surprising, and very sad. :) [/SIZE]

I must say, I don't like that show, Naruto.

I wish that he could have thought before he tried to imitate something so silly.

I pray for his family, thats horrible, dying at the age of 10.

At fifth grade, come on-- you've GOT to be smart enough to know not to bury your head in the sand trying to act like a TV character.

Seriously.

I mean, if they mentioned he had a learning disability or something, I would understand completely. But if this is just a run-of-the-mill average kid who happened to watch too much tv...

... something's wrong here.

[SIZE=13pt]O_O Lol..."The Cartoon is called ------- and the images are DISTURBING"[/SIZE]

I couldn't help but laugh at that part. o_O rofl.

But wow...What kind of kid barries themselves in sand? How is that in any way fun, or even immating the cartoon.

Uggg~ But wow. o_O Where were his parents in all this?

And how hard is it to get out of sand? O-O" -Sigh-

Some children these days. >.>

I looked at a related video where a highschool student copied Death Note, writing kids names in his own version of the book, thats disturbing.
Now to the subject, They shouldn't blame the show. If they take Naruto off the air because of this I will be beyond mad.
It depends, if a kid that would be silly enough to do a naruto immitation, then its the kids' fault, not the show/authors' fault.

RT

I saw that on the news -.-
I was born/grew up in Everett.
That's the first thing that hit me when I heard this. I was like "ZOMG!! Isn't that the same place were Heather lives?"

And Boricato, it's a News report.

This kid about 10 year's old in the fifth grade named Codey Porter, was watching Naruto with some friends. And decided to immitate Gaara's Desert Coffin. So he decided to bury himself under a foot of sand, began to suffocate and thrash around. His buddies did nothing, he did later that day at the city hospital.

And the parent's are blaming the cartoon. They are alerting parent's that other local kid's may be watching Naruto and immitating it.

I find this a major lesson to kid's Nationwide. Not to immitate what they see on TV.

You'd think that a fifth grader,which was what I was until aout 2 weeks ago,would be smart enough NOT to try to bury themselves in sand. I mean,a jutsu called "Sand Coffin" is never good. I feel sorry for the kid's family and the kid himself,but there's a few things I don't get. 1,if the kid had 5 friends around him at the time,wouldn't they think to get him OUT of the sand box when he was completely buried in a foot of sand? Where were his parents?! Wouldn't they know it's BAD to be totally buried in sand?! Wouldn't a 10-year-old know that almost nothing on Naruto is real?! I mean,if he watched the show alot,he'd know that the Sand Coffin results in death. That was his own death wish if you ask me. I have nothing against the kid or his family,I just think he should've been a bit wiser with that.

I'm with greendaygirl829 if they take it off the air because of this. I will be BEYOND FURIOUS!

That's the first thing that hit me when I heard this. I was like "ZOMG!! Isn't that the same place were Heather lives?"
And Boricato, it's a News report.

This kid about 10 year's old in the fifth grade named Codey Porter, was watching Naruto with some friends. And decided to immitate Gaara's Desert Coffin. So he decided to bury himself under a foot of sand, began to suffocate and thrash around. His buddies did nothing, he did later that day at the city hospital.

And the parent's are blaming the cartoon. They are alerting parent's that other local kid's may be watching Naruto and immitating it.

I find this a major lesson to kid's Nationwide. Not to immitate what they see on TV.
I think what a lot of adults and parents think is that cartoons are harmless.

Like for instance, if this was something live action, like a movie, parents usually don't let their young kids watch it. But it seems most parents think cartoons are innocent, so they don't keep them from watching.

Parents need to monitor what their kids are watching, cartoon and live action. Especially if they have easily influenced kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back