Tamagotchi Target Audience

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MARKETING TAMAGOTCHIS AS IF ONLY 8 YEAR OLD GIRLS LIKE THEM!!! grrrrrrr i may be young but i still know that tamas r marketed FOR 8-11 soo thats why its so girlish!!

Yes, nowadays, people think Tamagotchi are just for 10 year old girls. I'm a boy, I really like Tamagotchi, but I get made fun of when I show them around. I blame BanDai for focusing the market around girls. I also get a little angry/disgruntled whenever I hear about the EnTamas, Uras, and Sukus. The rest of the world never gets that stuff unless they sneak off to eBay. (Thank gosh for it.) Oh, and another thing: The US doesn't get the Connexion, or BandaiAsia designs! Bleh! :p
:) :( :( :p :D hahaha! kool avatar design yo! :D :D

yeah... its a shame theyre marketed at little girls. though they do release 'boy colours' as they get called in the argos catalogue XD personally i think the marketing does put some poeple off, which is a shame because frankly the tamagotchi isnt a very girl geared thing when you play with one. its very neutral, and entertaining. i dont know many people where i live that still play with tamas. so i do stand out a bit hahaaa. but i did know a few 20+ year old who liked em. and a fair few of them were men! so if you can get over the shoddy marketing and ignor peoples comments who think theyre just for little girls. then its ok.

What makes you think I would smash something worth $15.00?? Besides, I like virtual pets (Except cheap ones that automatically reset when you hit it)! Yes, I do agree that BanDai needs to make the Tamagotchis for everyone. Because whenever I take them to school, people call me girly and the bullies constantly call them TamaGAYtchis. UGH! Just die already. So once again, I agree that Bandai needs to make them for everyone again.

EDIT: When I went to Toys R Us, the Tamagotchis were in the girls section!! What the heck?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess I can consider myself lucky! The tamagotchi's are with all the other virtual pets including the boys ones so if I'm caught it dosn't matter I am just looking at muchiz if the ask! I do agree that tamagotchis are getting girly. Though I am not a boy I am partly tom boy and to top things off, tamagotchi's are "geeky" at my school. I agree though I might not have only 15 minute breaks I don't have much time with everything else going on to pay attention to tamagotchi 24/7. And I'm dissapointed that all the good ungirly tama's are only in Japan. I mean, I had to pay $40 dollers plus shipping to get my tama suko! It's not the least bit girly. And tamatown, tamagotchi's website, and desighs? All girly and kidy infested! What did bandai do? Ask there kids to deghin those things? What ever happened to my fave desighn? Clear pink? If I was in control of Bandai the first thing I would do is make tamagotchi's safe to be seen with. BanDai, get with the program!

*binary: this post merged into this topic from another*

When tamagotchis were first made, they were targeted at high school girls, but soon even adult men were enjoying these little critters...and how couldn't they love them? Just look at how many of us here of all different ages love them. But lately, it seems that bandai is advertising toward the young kid audience. The tamagotchis themselves hasn't seemed to change, but I don't think that the target audience should be that young. I see a lot of 7-year-olds playing with them, and that is what made many of my classmates stop playing with them years back...they were "too babyish"! (I still played with them though...typical me!) Tamagotchi didn't usued to be this way. I have absolutly no problem with kids playing with them, but I wish Bandai would package and advertise tamagotchis to show that ALL ages can play with them. What do you think the target age should be? Was Bandai right or wrong? Do you know of anyone who stopped enjoying tamagotchi simply because they were "too old"? Please discuss!

-tulip

Actually, not only are they marketing them for a younger audience, they've been making them easier to take care of too. If you don't believe me, put your Connection V4 away and try taking care of a 1997 vintage model one for a while. Remember how needy a Connection baby is, during its first hour of being alone? The old vintage models are needier than that, throughout their entire life. And forget about keeping them alive longer than Bandai intended you to. As soon as they hit their limit (about 7 days for an Ocean Gotchi, and about 21 days for an Angel Gotchi) they begin dropping hearts at an insane rate: I've seen them lose 1 hungry heart every minute and 1 happy heart every two minutes. By contrast, Connections are a breeze; mere child's play.

But, back to your comments, tulip978: Yes, I know a boy in my neighborhood who stopped playing with his Tamagotchi Connection V3 this summer because some other boys told him it was a toy only for little girls.

NO no NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. ITS NOT NOT NOT NOT FOR GIRLS ONLY FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :D I cant BELIVE HOW SILLY UJR BEING ABOUT THIS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im 18 years old and luckily. my clasm8s dont bother me having one. haha..my girlfriend gave me one. haha.. we are treating it like our own baby.

but then. tamatown is a different issue. it really is for children.
Tamagotchi is really fun but I think Bandai is aware that more teens than kids plays with them and that's why new versions expands in both playing options and character variety. But there is still room for more improvement

Tamatown is meant for both groups but i think it can be too complicated for kids to play there sometimes, and that parents has to help them out sometimes.

The only thing I don't like about tamatown is the music :ph34r: . it sticks to my head so I turn it off

I agree 100%, the site is way too babyish but the designs on the shells are unisex, because with the 4.5 there are guyish ones and girlish ones.

I agree about the adds, there kinda weird, theey really should make it a bit more mature.

I reckon with tamatown there should be one for older people thats less babyish and the games are harder.

:lol: тαуz :lol:

Actually, not only are they marketing them for a younger audience, they've been making them easier to take care of too. If you don't believe me, put your Connection V4 away and try taking care of a 1997 vintage model one for a while. Remember how needy a Connection baby is, during its first hour of being alone? The old vintage models are needier than that, throughout their entire life. And forget about keeping them alive longer than Bandai intended you to. As soon as they hit their limit (about 7 days for an Ocean Gotchi, and about 21 days for an Angel Gotchi) they begin dropping hearts at an insane rate: I've seen them lose 1 hungry heart every minute and 1 happy heart every two minutes. By contrast, Connections are a breeze; mere child's play.
But, back to your comments, tulip978: Yes, I know a boy in my neighborhood who stopped playing with his Tamagotchi Connection V3 this summer because some other boys told him it was a toy only for little girls.
Good point. The older ones do seem to get increasingly hard once it hits its 'target' age. I remember having a V1 Connection to 99+ years old and it didn't get any harder. :furawatchi:

Its a shame

some people think that Tamagotchis are girls toys. I'm a guy and I don't think they are. But I can see how some people think that they could be a 'girl-only' toy because of marketing/designs.

Psh, Think again BanDai, I AM contacting them, Automated responce or not... I WILL GET A HOLD OF BANDAI. This, this is just plain dumb, EVERYONE should be able to use a Tama and not have to hide it or sneak into the Tamagotchi isle. >______>

Good luck with contacting Bandai, when you get a responce could you please post it here? Pleaseee :D

:D тαуz :D

*binary: this post merged into this topic from another*
When tamagotchis were first made, they were targeted at high school girls, but soon even adult men were enjoying these little critters...and how couldn't they love them? Just look at how many of us here of all different ages love them. But lately, it seems that bandai is advertising toward the young kid audience. The tamagotchis themselves hasn't seemed to change, but I don't think that the target audience should be that young. I see a lot of 7-year-olds playing with them, and that is what made many of my classmates stop playing with them years back...they were "too babyish"! (I still played with them though...typical me!) Tamagotchi didn't usued to be this way. I have absolutly no problem with kids playing with them, but I wish Bandai would package and advertise tamagotchis to show that ALL ages can play with them. What do you think the target age should be? Was Bandai right or wrong? Do you know of anyone who stopped enjoying tamagotchi simply because they were "too old"? Please discuss!

-tulip
Yeah, I have the EXACT same problem. All of my friends wanted one when we were in the 4th grade, and then they thought they were babyish.... We're in higschool now, and I'm the only one who still likes tamas!!!! I get all kinds of mean comments about how I need to "grow up". Everyone is entitled to their own likes/dislikes!!!

What makes you think I would smash something worth $15.00?? Besides, I like virtual pets (Except cheap ones that automatically reset when you hit it)! Yes, I do agree that BanDai needs to make the Tamagotchis for everyone. Because whenever I take them to school, people call me girly and the bullies constantly call them TamaGAYtchis. UGH! Just die already. So once again, I agree that Bandai needs to make them for everyone again.
EDIT: When I went to Toys R Us, the Tamagotchis were in the girls section!! What the heck?? -_-
I know!!!! I went to get one, and they were on the Barbie aisle. What is up with that? I have to make sure nobody is watching me when I go to buy one, becaue then I get these wierd looks and mean comments thrown in my face. I think we should try to stop this!

Everyone who feels strongly about this should send bandai an e-mail. Maybe if enough people do it, they will finally learn!

The company Apple (ipods) has a very unisex marketing stretegy, and they are rich! What if Bandai did the same thing? Change the packaging guys, so that we don;t get made fun of about Tamas! And why does everything have to have eyes? The trees have eyes, the cars have eyes, it's sickening.

Also--in EVERY SINGLE AD THIS WEEK, Tamas were listed as "Cool toys for Girls" and "The Perfect gift for a little girl". They are on tha same page as the little dolls and dress-up stuff for 4 year olds.

PLEASE BANDAI--LISTEN TO YOUR FANS!!!!!

I really so miss the P2 days... I like the connections but nothing can compare to the original. I have to say now that V1 and V2 are my favorites of the Connections. I was a little disapointed with the V3. I knew before V4 came out that it was going to be a simplifed verison of the Entama. I really don't care for either V4 or V4.5. I don't understand why they had to make the V4/V4.5 the way they did. People at my work generally see me as odd for my habit of bringing Tamagotchi to work. I think alot of people judge me just by seeing a Tamagotchi around my neck.

This is so true!!!

Tamagotchis are always in the toy section of any shops, mainly because of the packaging – bright and colourful so the only place they belong is with all the other brightly packaged toys. It would look out of place say at the place where they sell other gaming consoles. I totally agree with the fact that the packaging for the tamas needs to be changed.

Another thing, the ads for tamas are only on during the hours of kids programs – ABC kids etc. So of course loads of people will view tamas purely as a kid’s toy, and not the virtual toy all of us adore. I am very sure that I am the only person at my school who has a tama and still loves it, and I am in year 12. I don't even play it in front of my friends because I am scared that the news will spread – what humiliation. I think this is partly affected by the trend that kids are maturing faster nowadays so things like tamas are inevitably grouped as a baby’s toy because children aged around 10-12 are already wearing makeup and watching mature films.

I really hope that BanDai could change this!! :furawatchi:

I agree with you, and I know how you feel.

But most of that is, kids grow up faster now. They never used to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back