The American Accent

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Canadian accent, and I think there's a /tiny/ difference between American & Canadian accents. It's kinda hard to describe, but if you watch a Canadian show, and then an American show, you can tell.

I can do a lot of accents, some better/worse than others, lol. I can do a good southern accent. Some of my relatives live in Louisiana and they speak so funny there. Like as soon as we walk in the door when we go and visit, my mom's aunt will say something like

"Hey y'all! Cum over here an' giv' ur' aint sum sugar!" :D

I like doing an over exaggerated hispanic accent too. It makes people laugh.

I say y'all a lot. ._. I also say 'and' like 'an.' And when I say 'hell,' it comes out like H-eh-ah-ll. And the vowels of my words are usually really exaggerated. It's some strange redneck-valley girl-ghetto mixture. Often, when I say 'like,' it comes out like l-ah-k. And when I say 'all,' it comes out really rounded: ahhh-ll. Whenever I say something with an R, or especially something that ends with Er, it comes out really exaggerated and obnoxious. xD

Ha ha, I know what you mean there. :D I can't even describe the way I speak. You'd have to actually hear me talk for yourself. :D

Yeah. If my webcam wasn't being aggravating, I'd post a video. But sadly, I cannot.

I've learned that there is a difference between redneck and southern. Redneck is a bit more trashy, and mixed with valley girl. Southern usually has sophisticated vocabulary, but the accent dumbs it down a bit.

Whenever I speak my L's sound heavy. When I say like it would be "llllllike". IDK how to describe it xD Watch Fiesty from the Love Of Ray J and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm so mexican xB

Okay, here are some of my pronounciations:

(I posted this one before, but still..) "Is it really" = "Izzi rilly"

"And then: = "En then" (when i say and on its own I pronounce the D but not with a word after it..)

"like"= the same sound as "Mike"

umm.. that's all I can think of for now. I would post a video too, just I don't know what to say :D

I am incredibly intrigued by Michelle's Kiwi accent. I always thought Kiwi was just a fruit. And a bird. x3Once I get to look at your videos on the school computers, I shall understand.
Thats a Kiwi fruit. And the bird, well thats native to New Zealand and its like our national icon so New Zealanders are better known as Kiwi's here.

ZOMG. Show your friends me and teach them how we Kiwi's say things.

Thats a Kiwi fruit. And the bird, well thats native to New Zealand and its like our national icon so New Zealanders are better known as Kiwi's here.
ZOMG. Show your friends me and teach them how we Kiwi's say things.
Have you seen that Beached As video on YouTube.

It basically mocks Kiwi accents.

It's funny because only the Aussies and New Zealander's get the joke and all the comments from the Americans are like "What the heck?!"

Haha.

You should see it.

American accent? I don't know. I don't seem to have any accent D: But I sound...kinda American and some other kind. British accents are awesome! :] My mom, she's Thai, and she has problems pronouncing L and R. Well, she wasn't born in America so...But I'm happy I was! ^^

I have a British accent and can kinda, well, I haven't a clue. We say grass like instead of grAss we say graaaaass, so the a is said lower I believe? same with park and Lance and Chance and France, etc, etc, etc.

British people, well, if I was an American (never met one though I really want to go to the US) and never heard a British accent, I would think they are posh. But, then again, the normal language in my school has innit mon, blud, and 'iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight in it.

Yeah we dont put that much enfesis (I know its spelt wrong but wtev) on the 3rd letter like we basically say it how its spellt I can never explain it but you would understand if you heard it... yessssss

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from Kansas, but my mom is from Texas, so I have a few words or phrases that usually.. Slip. -.oPeople here, I've noticed, have a bad habit of saying "Mondee" or "Tuesdee". It bothers me to no end. xD

Nick is from Florida and people still bother him about how he pronounces his O's. I didn't notice it until he brought it up, but he sort of drags them out.
It drives me nuts, too. And, even worse, is when people say "warsh" instead of "wash". We Kansans definitely have a distinct accent, although I have made sure I didn't get in the habit of saying the things that I find particularly irritating. xD

Hmmm... I'll post a video later and I'll let you guess where I'm from ^_^

I don't notice my accent much. I suppose thats because thats all I've known my whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back