The Database of Fake and Generic Virtual Pets

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://imgur.com/a/CJT8Xpr

What about the interesting shell on this pet? I'm still waiting for mine to show up in the mail, so I'm pretty ignorant about the program for now....  The packaging says "8" on it, and shows 6 dinosaurs , a turtle  and a snail. 
I've never encountered this one before, but I'm now really interested in finding out what it turns out to be like! Please let us know. :)

This thread is awesome!! and I'll offer a contribuition here ❤️ 

Name: WASAKI eletronic pet
Type: Fake (description) Generic (the ROM)

Notes:  it uses the fake 32 in 1 ROM (based in johnny pets), very knows for having a quicker clock, making the pet inpossible to raise.
But THIS ONE have a surprisingly slower clock, that works almost normally with full batteries, and even more slowy with weaker ones.
I have one, and can corfirm that's pretty playable and enjoyable, and the shell have nice quality with a very big screen. I think that this pet should have a johnny 8 in 1 programming instead, because of the layout and the quality of  the buttons and shell.

wasaki-electronic-virtual-pet-new-handheld-keychain-game-giga-type-toy.jpg

qpet-plus-color-tamagezi-tamagotchi_1_8b210327764069b6e5283f97572ac5b9.jpg

Name: QPet

Type: Fake

Notes: A clone of the Tamagotchi Plus software with some alterations, like the sprites being different sizes than the real ones, adding events based on Chinese holidays and the travel agent being Patrick Star from the hit Nickelodeon show SpongeBob SquarePants. There are two variants of the software, with the only difference being the translations on the English half (most notably what appears on screen when you loose a game). The front of the pet mispells TMGC+C as TMCG+C.

This might be difficult to pinpoint and I'm sure I'm being a pain here, but I'm having trouble getting the release dates for these bootlegs for my website. I have a ton of these fakes, but I can't properly list them by year on the Tamagotchi Museum page because I can't locate them. Also, who is the distributer for the first entry? (Tamagotchi Connection fakes).

image0.jpg

Name: Q-Pot (At least I think? I can make out a Q and it obviously says "POT" across the top but part of the logo is in Chinese and I can't read that language.)
Notes: This was being sold on a site called "Auto Gadgets" masquerading as a Tamagotchi On.

wow vpet.JPG

Name: Funny Pet Games (?)
Type: Generic
Note: Runs on the 168 in 1 Bunny ROM. (Not sure though) Comes in an egg. Availible in red, green, blue, orange and pink. (Wonder if it's made by JiDian)

Also a question: Why is my max upload size getting smaller? Does a person only have 0.12 MB of storage? EDIT: I read Admin's post and I now get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE QPET HAS A NEWEST MODEL! FORGET FAKE TAMA! GENERIC!!
BBs269y.png

Name: Qpet Quolor (Newest model 2020)
Type: Generic/Fake (Fake if you look at older versions)
Notes: Runs on completely new programming and has better pets and is just overall improved. (I can provide additional images) Feels more ToumaPet-ish and has ToumaPet sounds further strenthening the connection between OK and M&D. It even has ToumaPet games!!!!!! I LOVE THIS THING TOO MUCH!!!!!!!

Okay, I found it again! The listing claims it's a "Littlest Pet Shop" digital pet, which I had no idea existed. (It's too bad because I loved loved LOVED littlest pet shop as a kid and would've owned ten of these.) I could buy it for about 20 bucks.

So I guess it's not generic, but I have no idea if it's fake or not? I'd just never even heard of a digipet like this. I have no idea how you would work it with no buttons. The shape of it is really awful  :D

Perhaps this reply is a little late, but this product was definitely genuine! I went and dug out my other LPS virtual toy since this made me remember it. They had more reasonable shapes too lol. It's definitely an official Hasbro product and is marked on the back with a release date of 2006. I tested it out of curiousity and it runs the exact same batteries most tamagotchis do. It also still remembers my old progress data. Weird. There was also a plug n play game for the tv. I still have that as well.

EeohzncUYAEdt5T

I found this on Amazon. It arrived non functional with rust, dirt and metal flakes just every where. Oddly enough the seller replied to me on amazon & supposedly they're sending me a new one. I have a deep love for strange knock off vpets.

Gaahhh, I remember playing with one of those in store as a kid! I thought I bought one but maybe that didn't happen. Anyway, for anyone looking for further information, this post has a brief run down of three versions. This topic gives a basic guide on another version. In looking for these posts, I discovered some old topics about people complaining that these devices were heinously driving people away from tamas. Classic TT drama.

I found this on Amazon. It arrived non functional with rust, dirt and metal flakes just every where. Oddly enough the seller replied to me on amazon & supposedly they're sending me a new one. I have a deep love for strange knock off vpets.
I suspect you meant to attach an image here? I am not sure what device you're talking about

In looking for these posts, I discovered some old topics about people complaining that these devices were heinously driving people away from tamas. Classic TT drama.
How uncanny - I've just finished having a bit of a chuckle at some similar frothing-at-the-mouth posts over in the old PowerPalz section (I was looking into them, and my research led me back to TamaTalk in the end). :lol: There was an excellent and reasonable post on the matter by you over there, too, funnily enough. :)

I suspect you meant to attach an image here? I am not sure what device you're talking about
Yep, I can't see any image, either, unfortunately. It sounds like it was sent out in pretty horrible shape, though! :eek:

Fake Tamagotchis and generic virtual pets occupy a strange place in the virtual pets fandom - they can be a common pitfall for newcomers, but they also sometimes have appeal to enthusiasts who know what they are and who specifically want to add something weird to their collection.

Then I realised that, although there are several TamaTalk members who discuss and/or own such devices, we don't have a database of them that others can check out in order to learn more about the suspicious offering that they saw on eBay, or that oddball creation that somebody was happy about adding to their collection the other day.

So let's make one, and let's use the following format for it;

[Picture goes here.]
Name: Name goes here. If one does not exist, use a defining trait or an auction title - for example "Green, tomato-shaped generic virtual pet" or "Funny happy lovely designer retro nostalgic handheld pet game 1990s intelligence toy gift".
Type: Fake or Generic - delete as applicable.
Notes: Brief information about the pet goes here. Delete this line if there is nothing of note to say.

You can copy the format from here and paste it into your own posts;

Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Type:[/b] Fake or Generic
[b]Notes:[/b]
Remember that a fake/counterfeit is an item that is in some way trying to fool someone into thinking that it is something else, whereas a generic item may be a workalike but it isn't trying to decieve anybody. This thread is not for virtual pets from known "families" like Gyaoppi, Akachan, Dinkie, Hitorikko, and so on.

For the purposes of making this a useful reference, please follow the provided format, and please don't discuss the devices here - especially counterfeits, which tend to attract large amounts of discussion. For discussion of counterfeit Tamagotchis, please refer to @KidRetro64's epic thread "Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet", which is TamaTalk's hottest place to discuss fake devices and unusual bootlegs. ;)  

Now let's get started!

Name: Tamagotchi Connection
Notes: Possibly the most widespread counterfeit Tamagotchi of all time! It has four buttons instead of the genuine article's three, and uses generic 168 in 1 software that is commonly referred to by virtual pet enthusiasts as the "Bunny ROM", due to many eBay photographs of these devices showing a rabbit on-screen. If you're looking to buy virtual pets online, you will inevitably run into these infamous fakes sooner or later - most likely sooner.

----------

FGrhWDJ.jpg

Name: Cyber Pet 168 in 1
Notes: Also available in heart and apple shapes. The heart-shaped version is also sold by Keycraft Global as "Digi Pets". The box-art appears to imply that you can choose Slush the Husky (from the Ty Beanie Boos toy-line) and Abu the monkey (from the SNES version of the Disney's Aladdin video game) as pets on this device, but they are not part of the software. Uses the same 168 in 1 "Bunny ROM" software as the common four-button Tamagotchi Connection counterfeits. Distributed in the UK by the long-established toys and giftwares company PMS International.

----------

yPoMQMk.jpg

Name: Virtual PETs
Notes: A multi-pet from the long-established toys and giftwares company Funtime Gifts, which is available in 32-in-1 and 49-in-1 versions. The clock on these virtual pets gains time rapidly, making them almost impossible to raise to adulthood. These were sold in British high-street stores such as Hawkin's Bazaar.

----------

9xet04p.jpg

Name: Virtual PETS - Tamagotchi Connection
Notes: This is the standard 168 in 1 Tamagotchi Connection counterfeit, apparently this time from a company called Aquarius, but it's sold in packaging that steals its text from Funtime Gifts' generic Virtual PETs - even down to erroneously claiming that the fake Tamagotchi Connection is a 49-in-1 device. This virtual pet is therefore trying to fool people into thinking that it's two different things at once!

----------

If it's something that you guys want to do, go for it! I've got no interest in maintaining a wiki myself, though, which is why I just made this one a forum-based "database". ;)
. The packaging erroneously claims that this is a 49 in 1 device.
NAME: DINASOUR

TYPE : ?

NOTES : I dont know what this is please tell me anything about it I have no idea. Should I open it?

s-l1600.jpg

Ohh ok thanks! Is it a gigapet?
No, Giga Pets were by Tiger Electronics, and the current GigaPetsAR revival is by Top Secret Toys. :)

What I do know is that your Dragon, here, is one of many dinosaur-based virtual pets that were made for the Japanese market back in the 1990s (note that the Japanese word for dinosaur is also sometimes translated as dragon, for some reason - that's why some virtual pets will say "Dragon" but will feature dinosaurs). Without seeing one in action, I couldn't say what programming family it uses; Basically, many legitimate virtual pets from back in the day fall into certain groups, because their makers licensed the programming from other companies, and the rest created their own.

I see that you've already made a thread elsewhere asking for identification help. :)

Latest posts

Back