What's The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst book I've ever read would have to be... Probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. All the other books in the series were absolutely brilliant though. :p

I have to agree with what's been said about Twilight. I don't hate it, I just don't like it for the reasons stated. It's not the fact that the characters do bad things (such as Edward controlling Bella), it's the fact that these things are treated as if they make the character stronger and more likeable.

Also on my list is Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. It just read like a cheap Twilight knock-off. The so-called plot twists were blindingly obvious from the start of the book, and the whole plot was based on a jealous ex-girlfriend who acted like a complete child when it came to Patch. I forced myself to read to the end of the first book, but I'm not going to read the sequel when it's out.

Twilight, no contest. Why? Well, let me explain.

Aside from the fact that I've been in love with the Harry Potter sequence since the age of 7, and Twilight is like its mortal enemy....

The writing bores me. I tried reading the first page, and after the first page, I sat in silence pondering how to destroy every copy of the book.

Also, you can't just blatantly copy classic stories and expect your own to be "original". She clearly used some of Romeo and Juliet (which, I admit, everyone does, but this was just a bit tacky to me) , tried to take a bit of the original Dracula and Wolf Man deal, which didn't work, because if I remember correctly, Dracula does not have a happy friendship with the sun. Etc, etc...

Oh yeah, and the whole relationship between the two characters is not healthy at all. I don't think its a very good standard to be setting for anyone, really. To me, a good book is something that can stand the test of time. The Harry Potter sequence, in my opinion, is one of those. Twilight is seemingly a passing phase, and once the Hunger Games was discovered (to my dismay, I liked it, and everyone ruined it for me with their incessant whining about the love interests) people slowly got over it.

I also don't like Dork Diaries book 3 the not-so-talented pop star, it was so predictable. Seriously, I could tell right when I first read that Nikki wrote Actually I'm not really sure yet on the form that that was going to be the band's name and I got confused why they named it Dorkalicious instead. It was so annoying how the author tried to build suspense on something so predictable.

Last edited by a moderator:
weeeell as you can see from the first few pages i wasn't a big fan of some books

@bluegreen agreed, also it just seems way too much like a weaboo version of diary of a wimpy kid { which is a great series btw }

umm in school we had to read journey to the centre of the earth which was alright but had more talking than action so i don't know. i probably wouldn't read it again if given the chance :L

also tried reading artemis fowl but i don't know, i just couldn't really get a hang of the characters and what they were like { and i look for that in a book. }

weeeell as you can see from the first few pages i wasn't a big fan of some books

@bluegreen agreed, also it just seems way too much like a weaboo version of diary of a wimpy kid { which is a great series btw }
I know, right? I only got the book because my cousin gave it to me for Christmas and I got the rest of the series just because I'm like that, when I get a book in a series I end up buying the whole series. More about why I hate Dork Diaries:

Dork Diaries is just a copy that will never be as good as Diary of a Wimpy Kid. For one thing Diary of a Wimpy Kid has a "timeless" feel in it, (I especially like the made up brands and stuff) but since Dork Diaries mentions real famous/popular people and stuff at the present it loses its "timeless" feel even though the author obviously tried to put it there by not including a year in Nikki's entries. Like how in book two, it references Twilight and in book 1 it references the Jonas Brothers...those are just like fads, in about 3-5 years they'll be has-beens or totally forgotten. Plus each book is pretty much the same, Nikki has a problem involving her school or Mackenzie or caused by Mackenzie or Mackenzie helped cause it. Then Nikki and her friends solve the problem and in the end she wins a contest and learns a lesson or something and there's always some romantic scene with Brandon in it. Book 3 and 4 was the most predictable by far. Seriously, Dorkalicious? Totally lame. And in book 4 I could totally tell when I first read the note that said they found the fairy costumes that it was a trap set by Mackenzie and sure enough and Mackenzie locked them in the storage unit when they came. Don't think I wanna buy book 5 but for some reason I like buying all the books in the series just to see how it ends. So I might buy book 5 anyways...? The best book in the series was How to dork your own diary book 3 1/2 because it was the least obvious and predictable. (and only that) Oh, how I hate predictable books... Sorry this post is soooooooo long, guess my ranting went a little too far...

Diary of a wimpy kid > Dork Diaries

Nikki says : :( why do people hate me/my books? :( :( :(

Greg says: :p I'm rich and famous. :p :p :p

I can't believe I USED to like it.

The Iliad is one of the worst. It depicts heroism as ceaselessly killing others and being an overall jerk like Achilles. It has almost no plot, other than the war, which is described in excessively gruesome details, such as eyeballs rolling on the ground, disembowelments, etc. Also Homer's bloviation, describing the tree being used as a metaphor, really gets to me. Why it is still a classic is beyond me.

Fufufuffufuffu.....(creepy laugh)

Are you ready to hear my worst book?

Here it comes....fufufufu....

ALL THE RAMONA AND BEEZUS AND RIBSY AND....BLAH!

Ramona quimby books are just...awful...I mean awful. The book is like it's written for 5 year olds, and it's all about a stupid little girl that does stupid things and it's just...not funny...I don't get why those books got so many awards.

Oh yeah, and the second series Warrior cat books. -.-

MOAR FIRESTAR! MOAR! MOAR! MOAR!

I also don't like Canal de la Reina because it was SO BORING, I fell asleep after 3 chapters. (no offense to the author, though, but for the author of Dork Diaries WHO CARES IF I OFFENDED HER, THAT'S WHAT SHE GETS FOR BEING A COPY CAT) Never finished the book, only read until chapter 26 because I HAD TO FOR SCHOOL.

I got this whole list of stuffs:

TWILIGHT

Almost Edie

Broken

Rainbow Magic (don't ask yet)

(I have a bad memory so these are it for now)

Almost Edie: The story was unclear, the author gave the characters ridiculous names (IMO, Edie's sister was named Dexter, not that I'd go and hate on girls named Dexter), and the plot was just boring. Like, first, she goes and meets this fat kid, and then goes back home and lives life all normally, and it was just boring. And then her sister locks her in a cabana or something and she gets out. Story done.

Broken: I don't even remember the author for this one. xD But it was supposed to be a "Cinderella" retelling. There was absolutely no trace of Cinderella in it except for a stepmother, two stepsisters who weren't THAT mean, and a school dance. It kind of made me mad that Ash (main character) gave herself up so easily to the most popular guy in school, when her stepsister warned her he was a major player, but did she listen? Of course not. And then she goes and rants about how goth and emo she is and how she has this stupid problem with breaking glass. What did that even have to do with the story?

Rainbow Magic: Okay, I shouldn't be ranting about this because it was written for 7 year old girls, but seriously. I don't even know why I liked it when I was younger. The plot is so predictable and they go into excruciating detail about what the stupid fairy is wearing. Plot, in all of those books:

Rachel and Kirsty both conveniently have school vacation at the same time, even though they live in different parts of the UK.

They meet a fairy which pops out of nowhere while having fun. Oh, and this fairy is skinny, and a girl. Always. And is always dressed perfectly.

They go and find some goblins causing mischief in really bad disguises. They're usually hurting other people's feelings. Boo. Sad.

Rachel/Kirsty comes up with a plan to distract the goblin and get a magic item back.

Of course, it works.

The fairy takes it back to Fairyland and they go back to having fun.

Page after page after book after book of this garbage. Then again, it was written for 6 year old girls.

And, the grand finale:

Twilight: I'm not bashing this because everybody else is, but because I do actually dislike it (I have a couple of pages of notes about this xD):

1) Narration: It was too choppy. It didn't flow right, and it was stupid how Bella had to describe in excruciating detail every. Single. Little. Thing. She. Did. Not to mention other people as well.

2) The author spends too much time worrying about little details, like what Bella's wearing. I mean, lots of detail is good, but what a character is wearing, unless it actually has something to do with the plot, is a little unnecessary.

3) Bella uses words no regular teenager would use. Read the dictionary much?

4) Bella. Is. A. Sue. She's too studious, she's already studied whatever the school in Forks is studying (I guess it's not her fault, but still), she's all responsible, she cooks, she cleans, she makes friends on the very first day, and every single boy who looks at her is attracted to her. Reminds me of Cinderella and Barbie mashed up into one.

5) She must describe how "flawless" and "perfect" Edward is. There is no encounter with him that goes by without a mention of his "tousled bronze hair", or "absurdly handsome face", "flawless lips", you get the picture. She makes Edward sound like some human god or something. Geez. He's just a vampire.

6) What makes me really mad about this book is the values it emphasizes. It encourages girls to throw away everything, their lives, families, whatever, just for true love. Which, in my opinion, is what we should be encouraging people NOT to do. Once Bella meets this "perfect" Edward, she throws away everything, risking her family, her friends, and her own life just for him. She becomes unhealthily obsessed with him, even though she knows that she could well lose her life just by staying with him, because he VANTS TO SUCK YOUR BLOOOODDD. I mean, true love is nice, and we all want to have it, but there's other things in life you should focus on too, right?

Ugh. This book made me want to scream. The beginning was horrible, but the narration in the middle is kind of okay. In the end, though, Bella goes all "I have to do this for luurrrvveee" and pretty much gives herself up AGAIN. Brilliant. Although it was for her mom, kind of. Ish. But the ending was still bad anyway.

I only read Twilight to see how bad it is, LOL.

Okay, done ranting.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this other book that I hate...

Geronimo Stilton is the worst series EVER. First of all every single book is pretty much the same. Geronimo gets dragged on an adventure that he doesn't wanna join because he's a "scaredy mouse" but he needs to for his newspaper so he joins reluctantly and then he finishes the adventure and writes a great article for his newspaper the end. Yeah, it's really boring. But the number 1 most annoying thing about the book is EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ABOUT MICE AND CHEESE. Sure, there might be something about a mountain climbing adventure or an art thief but at the end of the day it's pretty much all about the mice and cheese thing plus they even change EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S NAME by adding words rat or mouse or their body parts like snout or tail or something about cheese like stilton which is a kind of cheese. Which is a bad idea, A VERY BAD IDEA. Did you know that I never knew Hercule Poirat was actually based off someone else named Hercule Poirot? This really messes up kids' minds. And it doesn't even have a good plot twist thing or anything. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY TRYING TO BUY EVERY BOOK IN THE SERIES. If you're gonna buy a series might as well buy a manga series. Like Pokemon Adventures, it's AWESOME.

I read Twilight almost 4 years ago, and really enjoyed it. Now that I look back at it, I think the only reason I liked it was that I was at a loss for stuff to read. If I re-read the series, I'm pretty sure I would see it as mediocre, since I've moved on to reading better stuff (i.e. the book I'm currently reading, Double Take).

The other book I'm reading is A Tale of Two Cities. It's required reading and I'm 48% done with it much to my dismay (I have to finish it within the next week). It's a boring story about the French Revolution written by Charles Dickens (ugh, I hate him, except A Christmas Carol) and my family members all agree that since Tale of Two Cities was published as a serial novel, Dickens was paid BY THE WORD to write it. Grr. He bloviates the whole book, describing, in scenes of people walking across the street, every article of clothing they are wearing (including undergarments). OK, exaggerating a little there, but only a little. You can't see any of Dickens's classic wittiness under all the stupid bloviation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok thanks for allowing me to rant, vent, and complain, but subjecting people to this crUD is abusive behavior...

Worst books what I have ever read are A Series of Unfortunate Events- books,

because your favorite characters die or you don't know what happen to them.

I read all those 13 books, because books always end, when there's something, what you want to know.

Don't read NEVER those books!
OMG HOW DARE YOU.

A series of Unfortunate Events is an amazing series of books D:<.

Anyways, the worst book I ever read was The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo.

It was so. God. Dang. Slow.

OMG HOW DARE YOU.

A series of Unfortunate Events is an amazing series of books D:<.

Anyways, the worst book I ever read was The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo.

It was so. God. dang. Slow.
I know, right? I like A Series of Unfortunate Events too, it's very sad but that doesn't make it a bad book. I like the witty things Lemony Snicket wrote. :3

The Hunger Games.

I couldn't finish it. I found it to be very poorly written and I think the plot/s and concept/s are mediocre at best. The whole fandom is under the spell of a pathetic fad and I pity all Hunger Games fans.

I once bought a random book because its summary was interesting. It was supposed to be one of those murder mystery things, it takes place in ancient Rome or something and someone was trying to poison someone else. Turns out it was pretty boring and had very inappropriate stuff in it, I couldn't believe it was a kid's book. (SPOILER ALERT! the lady was poisoning herself because her husband was cheating on her, the end.) So here's the lesson that I learned from it:

Don't judge a book by its summary

P.S. Highlight the empty space if you want a spoiler. (I learned that from The Ultimate Doomer xD)

the green book is my all time hated book. someone had to have way too much time on their hands to make that book. ''oh my god earth is so polluted we should leave the other people to make earth better'' seriously who wants to read that. i had to read it for school and it was terrible and the ending is the exact same sentence as the beginning, ''father said we could take very little with us''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back