Where You Live ~~

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinderpelt

Reaction score
I personally find this very interesting. n_n

Look up your city in Wikipedia, and post the link. ;)

So I live right outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. I can actually find my little town on Wikipedia, but I won't post that article. (Our claim to fame is that we have the second most polluted waterway in the US as of the year 2000. 8D)

Here is the link to the Pittsburgh article.

Here are some things I found interesting:

• Population: 312,819
  • Population Density: 5,636/sq mi
  • Highest recorded temperature: 103*F (39*C) in July.
  • Lowest recorded temperature: -22*F (-30*C) in January.
  • Ethnicity: 67.63% White, 27.12% African American, 2.75% Asian, 1.32% Hispanic
  • Median income to the average household: $28,588 (yearly)
  • 20.4% of the population lives below the poverty line.
  • Murder rate is 2.61 times the national average.
  • Non-violent crime rate is 1.11 times the national average.

And can you believe there was a whole section written on Pittsburgh dialect? 8D

Local dialect
The Pittsburgh English dialect, popularly referred to as "Pittsburghese", derives from influences from the Scottish-Irish, Welsh, German, Central European and Eastern European immigrants. Locals who speak in this dialect are sometimes referred to as "Yinzers" (from the local word for "you guys/people", yinz [var. yunz]). The dialect has some tonal similarities to other nearby regional dialects (ie, Erie, Baltimore), but is noted for its somewhat staccato rhythms. The staccato qualities of the Pittsburgh dialect have been suggested to originate either from Welsh or from Eastern European immigrants. It also has so many local peculiarities that the New York Times described Pittsburgh as, "the Galapagos Islands of American dialect".[59] The lexicon itself contains notable cognates borrowing from Croatian and other Slavic and European languages. Examples include babushka, pierogi, and halušky.[60]
So what's your city have to say about you? :3

Vancouver

I live in a suburb, but you shall not know my exact location.

Maybe this should be in Seriously (Non) Tamatalk so random people don't stalk us.

Christchurch

One of our sister cities is Adelaide and our mayor's name is Bob.

I also found my suburn! Inner city suburb FTW. I dare yoy to guess which one it is!

It even lists my iwi! Nga Tahu FTW x 2

My school must fail. Its not listed under eduacation - Secondary schools section.

Scotland

I couldn't find the city I live, but I live in Scotland, so, ya. Here's some Scottish information for you. And to answer questions you may have, no, I don't play bagpipes!

I live in this little historic nobody town called Harpers Ferry...Aritcal

.... We're not that special
I've heard of Harpers Ferry! I live relativly close to you, and I think we've driven through Harpers Ferry on our way to the beach before. Or at least we've passed exit signs on the highway.

Wow. Population of 307? O: Do you know practically everyone in town?

UK, Yorkshire, West Yorkshire (or the West Riding of Yorkshire XD).

I live in the 10th largest town in the UK with a population of 146,234, but at one time it was the largest I think, since it had a lot of mills.

The closest city is 10.3 miles away and where I live is 190 miles north of London. It's a market town with a railstation.

It has Victorian architecture... when I'm walking through town the buildings always seem old and crumbly...

Basically, it's like most towns.

But yeah, read more about it here.

Yeah, where I live isn't very interesting. xD

I've heard of Harpers Ferry! I live relativly close to you, and I think we've driven through Harpers Ferry on our way to the beach before. Or at least we've passed exit signs on the highway.
Wow. Population of 307? O: Do you know practically everyone in town?
I don't really know alot of people here xD

Everyone lives so far apart, and most of the people that live are really old.

;P

Scottie, you live in Pitt? OO:

Okay, well I lied. Here is the little craphole town I live in, in the Pittsburgh metropolitain area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler,_Pennsylvania

Haha, I looked up my town on Youtube. 8D

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png - Heroin Capital Of The USA !! xD
EDIT: And I agree. Perhaps someone could move this to Seriously Non(TamaTalk)? :]

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Austin. North Austin, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas

The three biggest gangs here are the Crips, the Bloods, and Westwood. Not sure how accurate my spelling is, but.. Anyway. The lowest temperature it's ever been here EVER is -2*F. The lowest temperature I've ever been in was 32*F. The highest temperature I've ever been in was 111*F When I was like, five or something. It's usually really dry and stuff. All of the plant life shrivels up and dies in the coldest part of the winter, and in the summer, unless you water it twice a day. Contrary to popular belief, we are not religious nuts. But then again, I've only experienced the city Dx Downtown Austin is the best place in the world, just to let you know. Sooo many pretty lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back