Tamagotchi 4U English App

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
However, TamaTalk wasn't the only place on the planet who had it. I'm sure you could find another one by googling a bit ;) Just make sure you include the term "apk" in your search string.

---------

EDIT: oops, never mind. I thought you were talking about the official app. I didn't realize Mr.Blinky's entire "eng app" thread was deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
^bc its illegal
Pretty much, however TamaZone has quite some other ''illegal'' Tamagotchi resources, so the app being taking down is also mainly because a problem with the admins, not a big deal though, TamaTalk is still here and we are not giving up on the project, we want everyone to enjoy their 4Us outside Japan :)

However, TamaTalk wasn't the only place on the planet who had it. I'm sure you could find another one by googling a bit ;) Just make sure you include the term "apk" in your search string.

---------

EDIT: oops, never mind. I thought you were talking about the official app. I didn't realize Mr.Blinky's entire "eng app" thread was deleted.

The english app had been released exclusively on TamaZone, now is also available here on TamaTalk and in Mr.Blinky's YT too, so hopefully it will spread like the japanese one xD

Pretty much, however TamaZone has quite some other ''illegal'' Tamagotchi resources, so the app being taking down is also mainly because a problem with the admins,
I can understand them deleting the link to the app, but I don't understand why they had to go and deleted the entire thread.

I tried to install the app on my S4, but it keeps telling me I need to make more space for the app? I have more space than it needs and it still won't install...

I guess I just misunderstood or misread "the app being taking down is also mainly because a problem with the admins,"
Probably just poor wording. Maybe he/she meant issue with the admins, rather than "problem"...meaning an issue the admins had concerning the content that we weren't privy to. I dunno, just guessing. I do know that Bandai threatened Takura with legal trouble for distributing the official app, so everyone is just trying to avoid trouble.

I tried to install the app on my S4, but it keeps telling me I need to make more space for the app? I have more space than it needs and it still won't install...
How much more room do you have. Some devices require double the amount of space that the app actually is. Also, are you sure the available space is on the phone itself, and not the memory card?

That's not the apps problem, most of android phones have this problem, I don't know why this happens but it happens to almost everybody, there's no much you can do about it other than deleting stuff, I had to delete 4 apps to be able to install another app that was only 12 MBs.... -_-

Probably just poor wording. Maybe he/she meant issue with the admins, rather than "problem"...meaning an issue the admins had concerning the content that we weren't privy to. I dunno, just guessing. I do know that Bandai threatened Takura with legal trouble for distributing the official app, so everyone is just trying to avoid trouble.
^^^ This is what I actually meant ^^^

I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself properly, I'm terrible when it comes to words :(

I believe I can shed some light on this. I explained what I am about to Mr. Blinky in detail, so I'll explain here as well.

Back when Takura first released the apk to the app to those of us outside of Japan, he got contacted by Bandai and was given a C&D order. Of course everyone was upset, so Takura wrote to the Bandai rep and explained the demand for the app outside of Japan. After a while he was contacted again and told that they had released an updated version of the app for Japan which tightened its security and told that we could go back to using the old apk, so long as no attempts were made to fiddle with it, otherwise all access would be cut off to outside of Japan. Thus, the app would not be accessible to anyone anymore.

On top of that, after we got several (yes, quite a few) PMs from concerned members on TZ, binary and I had a closer look at the English app and discovered that unlike the previous work Mr. Blinky provided the community with like the P's Patches (this is what I assume was meant by "other illegal stuff") this app wasn't written from scratch. It was a hacked version of a copyrighted app that is the public property of Bandai.

What's the difference? While one was written from scratch with the intention to customize a purchased product, the other is violating the public property of a company. So the patches are like customizing your tama that you own. As there are no ToU policies with the unit, it's completely fine. That's why we've never had an issue with it. In fact, we think it's quite remarkable.

On a last note, our host zIFBoards have rules we have to abide by. The 13+ age restriction for instance is a rule we have to enforce. Our host is very clear about their rules, and they've been known to erase entire forums for not following protocol. I hope this sheds some light on why it was removed from TZ.

Ra,

Just to add to the "illegal" discussion, there isn't a Terms of Use policy when you purchase a Tamagotchi. However, there most definitely is a Terms of Use when you download, use, or possess in any form an app. Bandai knows that we have modified physical Tamagotchis we own, and haven't made on opinion on that. I don't think they really care. They have made their stance very clear about the app, and have made legal threats over its use. It only makes sense for forums and groups to protect themselves legally. It is also why we do not allow the posts of it on the Facebook groups.

Thanks for the explanation, Ra. Now it makes sense why the whole thread was deleted. I couldn't find anything on TamaZone explaining it, so I was puzzled when I clicked on the link to that thread and it had just vanished.

But I know what you mean about the strict rules you have to adhere to. It's true, I've seen entire forums pulled down for infractions. So I knew it wasn't something petty.

Thank you everybody for the information, I understand the problem now is with the app's Term of use wich are not on the Tamagotchi units themselves, and I guess if TZ and facebook group don't want the app then we will keep it away from them.

Just to let this be more of a santandalone project, and make it more professional, the app already has its own webpage on Mr.Blinky's site

* link promoting potentially illegal app removed*

(I'll keep updating this thread, so I can answer questions from people and post any updates on the app of course)

This app is modified from Takura's apk file, wich as you said is discarred and not supported anymore because it has been replaced by a newer version in japan, so I don't think it would be a mayor problem to keep with the project.

The point on the english app is mainly to get the 4U content to be available to everyone outside Japan, since without Touch Spots the 4U would be a rather pointless release for us, As you have seen we are trying to get the data from Japan's touch spots for it to be available in the english app, so non-japanese people can enjoy this new release too.

I just hope for you to support the project and understand we have worked and we will keep working hard on it, just so everybody can enjoy the Tamagotchi experience.

All information and download of the app is on the link above, including a list of compatible devices (that should also work for the japanese app)~

As Ra has explained, I don't think it will be wise for the app to continue. We have been warned of all the problems that could possibly happen if the app continues to be modified. We were warned that we will have no access to the app if it's modified, including modifying Takura's version of the app.

I'd feel safer, and a lot better using it in Japanese whilst knowing that we're not going to loose access to it. Please, for Tamagotchi 4U fan's across the world, discontinue using the app before Bandai find out about it and block access.

I'm a little worried about Mr.Blinky. Have you seen his avatar today? He looks...uh... "dead". And he hasn't posted in awhile.

Does anyone know if he's ok?

I haven't heard anything from him for a while :(

Bandai JP said that we can use the unmodified original 4U app that Takura has made available, but not the newer app that's avaliable in Japan. As long as we don't modify the apps, or use the Japan only app, were allowed to use it.

Where can I get access to the one we've been given permission to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back