Tamagotchi at Toyfair 2014

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in California, and placed an order online the other day. Ups tracking shows it should be arriving on Monday! Woohoo! I am however going to check the two toys r us locations that are near me to see if I can pick a second up in store. I have been waiting for this since they first released info about a year ago. Anyone in the Bay Area had any luck seeing them in any stores up this way? The two stores nearest me are Antioch or Stockton.

I'm planning on stopping by my local Toys R Us today to see if they have the Friends in stock!! If not I'll be ordering online, but I'm excited to finally be able to buy a Tamagotchi in stores again, last time I did that was 2011. :') if I see any, I'll take pictures!!

***Update: I stopped by just now to check, they didn't have any, and the employees I asked didn't know what they were. ;w; Looks like it's online ordering for me, gosh dang. I was hoping to avoid shipping costs, but oh well~

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I went to the Toys R Us in Dublin, CA and they too stated they did not have any. However low and behold I found three racks full mixed in the most unusual place. Not near the Hello Kitty stuff like another member found. Instead it was mixed in hanging on the wall by these little mini dolls, I think they were called mini life or mi life or something like that. I actually passed them up completely, because they looked like the packaging of the dolls and accessories so be sure to check all isles hanging or sitting on a shelf because they are not in the correct place in my opinion. They should be near electronics - I would think they would sell better that way. Online stated not found in stores, and the employee didn't know what it was. We walked through the isles one more time to double check all hanging items, and after scanning through again my husband just happened to see them towards the entrance of the isle, hanging near the top just above eye level, on three of those metal hanging rack guys. All of the designs were available.

After the initial unboxing, I have to say it is the most adorable US release to date IMO. I purchased the light blue with stars design in the store, and I have the light purple design coming in the mail today or tomorrow. The paint seems durable, I was not able to scratch it with my nails. The only flaw I noticed was on the edge of the white front piece. There is a small area that is a little jagged probably from manufacturing, but since its on the edge I'm just going to lightly file it. Not a big deal. I love the smaller than Tama-go size. But not too small that your hand will cramp after playing for a while like the connections and previous releases. The design is cute. Also noticed that the screen is covered this time unlike one of my Tamagot's that the faceplate center was empty leaving the digi screen vulnerable.

I love that tama actually uses words to tell you when he's hungry. Very cute. I also found that the screen is different than the previous us versions in that the different shades of black make it appear to be almost green sometimes like when you go to play games and you pass the trees. The pixels that fill in each of the objects also are a very soft hue, so it's the next best thing to a color screen. The only weird thing I found right away even before installing batteries is that the screen has these like streaks if you have it tilted just off of looking straight at it and it can make you a little dizzy almost. I adjusted the contrast down to two bars and that seemed to help once I had it up and running. As with anything new I am sure that it will take a little time to figure everything out.

I can't wait to share more after I have run it for a few more hours. I am very excited that I finally found one of these here in the US, I have been patiently waiting ever since they were released to the rest of the world last year.

Yep, the Tamagotchi Friends is great. :) It's the PERFECT size and shape. When I first held one in my hands it felt so amazing, like a perfect fit! It feels so nice in hand!

It has NFC and it released before the Tamagotchi 4U. ;)

It has lots of characters even from P's pierces, as well as Tropicatchi, who has never been on a Japanese Tamagotchi!

Gorgeous shell designs, beautiful sprites, and jewellery is actually fun! It has a purpose... you COLLECT them and can even unlock a game by collecting. I like to collect items on other versions but I never really use them lol... and even though I can't stand jewellery in real life, I love the cute and creative jewellery on the TF!

I have three Tamagotchi Friends now. All UK ones though. I hope to get many more!

Excuse me, but what about the iDL, P's, and other Japanese Tamagotchi? Japan has had girly Tamagotchis for years but nooooo, everyone has to attack the Tamagotchi Friends :rolleyes: And if you ask me, acting as if girl-oriented stuff is a terrible thing is sexist.Tamagotchis are aimed at girls now because it involves nurturing a pet and because boys have stuff like Power Rangers or Hot Wheels, but it doesn't mean boys can't play Tamagotchis and girls can't play with Hot Wheels and Power Rangers. Nobody calls Hot Wheels and Power Rangers sexist, do they? So why does EVERYTHING have to be for boys? Deal with it. :)
Because the other western releases where for both gender.

Tamas were first created for everyone, they're just ignoring buyers and even the creator of the toy.Power Rangers are for boys since their creation, so this example is NOT valid.

I don't deal with it, and Bandai should know not all girls are girly, especially in 2014.

You're a girly girl, it's easy for you, but you can't say that, you're telling us to change our opinion and to make us girly?

Now I'll try to change your opinion on Tamagotchi Friends so you'll dislike it.

You're selfish...this is why I prefer male fans, never like the female company so much...

Bandai is marketizing Tamagotchis for the wrong target.

They should care about male fans more, like they're doing with the adult ones, if they wouldn't care, they wouldn't make Facebook pages, 6 years olds aren't on Facebook....

Look at Bandai Japan, they're ignoring adult fans too, while they're making adult gadgets of kids stuff like Precure and Dragonball, not even their own series, they only make gadgets since they're tv series.

You're ignoring other fans and Tamagotchis' history.

Why don't they make great shell designs like the older Tamas ones?I mean, what about the Sakura V5?Cookie V5?And all the awesome Music Stars?

Even if the Sakura one is girly it's less girly than jewels, I love flowers and little girls like them too, and they're cuter than jewels, flowers are nature!

Everyone likes cookies, so, even if it's not extra girly and not super shining, little girls would love it, because it's original and cute.

Music themed designs are perfect because everyone likes music and it would be good for everyone, I mean, look at the pink European version of the Scarlet Melody, is so cute!I'd buy it.

So.

I'm saying that some of the previous girly Tamagotchis were less girly and more cute than the Friends and P's ones.

I actually hate the girly but unoriginal and boring designs of the Friends (especially the American ones) and the P's...

Bandai is being so unoriginal.

I'm not a girly girl and I don't care for the designs at times, but I never take my Tamas out of the house, so no one is going to see me play with them anything and think me to be 'out of character' lol. :p I tend to go for color neutral or 'boyish' colors, like greens and blues, blacks if they have them, etc. Extremely sad that the 4U doesn't have green, so I'll be going with blue. I also like purple and will take that if need be. I try to avoid pink, yellow, and orange.

But then again, that is all personal taste.

I love how people beg and beg for a new release, and then the moment it arrives instantly guys start bashing. I think any US release Tama is great. They did make a solid blue one, but I get that it doesn't change the fact that they have indeed changed their market audience which shows because of where they are placed in stores, advertising, and even the game play and characters are much more feminine. I actually love what they did with the new version as previous versions were too boyish or babyish and not very cutesy. I'm 27 years old and I still enjoy the game play on these things. In time everything changes and there isn't much that we can do, and being upset doesn't help anyone. I personally think the US Friends edition is adorable. I am thankful that Bandai finally brought them back to the US, and I will take what I get without throwing a fit :)

The fact that they have Facebooks so you think they are marketing to adults is silly. You would be surprised at how many 8 year olds have access to FB actually. My neice is 6 and knows how to get around and read posts and watch videos on her Dad's phone. Parents "like" the pages so that the kids can find them easily and help them play online. That is common sense really.

The FB Tamagotchi pages do not manage their accounts in such a way that would lead me to believe that it is actively run by Bandai. No information is ever released that is meaningful. Actually not one word of the US release of Friends was issued on the US page. The posts are always a random thought of the day or week that is completely unrelated etc. It's more like a fan page than anything, where FB ppl post a few things here and there. If it was more active and detail oriented then I would think that, but I have had them on my feed for over a year now since they released all the L.I.F.E apps and such and it was always like a recipe post or a picture of a little girl or teen girl modeling their new clothing line etc. All very kiddie.

That being said, now you can still always buy one and paint over it with a design you do care for. Or just stick with the solid blue if you're looking for a more boyish style.

And P.S. Power Rangers were marketed to girls once upon a time. When I was little in the 90's there were two girl rangers and a few other girl characters. I had the pink ranger toys and things from happy meals, etc. All companies change the shape of their product and the target audience because times change. The vast majority of boys are now not interested in Tamagotchi's the least bit. That is in part why the company had to change their market. Same goes for adults, I have been holding out for a more mature toy that is more intelligent for the older crowd. But really, there aren't enough of us. A few 20 somethings are on here and some even older, but it's not enough to alter a companies sales market etc. And if I am ever feeling I want a more vintage boring tama I will start up one of my old ones sitting in my collection :)

2s9twgl.jpg

I just saw this lel must be new I don't think the other designs will come out :(

They updated the news page too, its official that the Friends launched officially on August 27th!! (Yesterday at the time I'm typing this post :p ) https://us.tamagotchifriends.com/2014/08/27/tamagotchi-friends-launches-in-the-united-states/

They mention everything is being sold exclusively at Toys R Us, and they also mention the prices of the figures, and playsets! Maybe we'll find TF in stores more easily now...? ;w;

edit: forgot to add, the release date is the US one ^^

I'm pretty sure there will be an Australian release like you said maybe next year

I still don't like how it's only at Toys R Us because the nearest one where I live is like 2 hours and my Mom and Dad don't want to take me :( so I guess Christmas I'll possibly get 2 maybe a Kiraritchi figure as well *w*

My TF just came in the mail a few minutes ago!! I ordered the blue BFF shell from Toys R Us.com, it took about 6 days to reach me. The packaging was a lot smaller than I expected, its about the same size as color Tama packaging? There was also a dent in the packaging, which I think is Toys R Us's fault, it came in one of those yellow mailers, but the kind without bubble wrap inside? Thats alright through, I'm not saving the packaging or anything~ :p

d8ec8ad5-41f1-4f31-ada3-c28414d039fa_zps83acd2e4.jpg
e6537e84-f644-4d8d-9270-ccf141b9e5d9_zpscebff856.jpg

c3aeb659-abd6-4523-a7f8-9e8e2cd10780_zps12e5d0af.jpg
ec3c9328-c97e-45f7-90fe-166b0cda3bf6_zpse4c92fb1.jpg

The Friends to me sounds like a quieter Tama-Go?? I kind of like the sound, its pretty cute imo. ;w; The paint hasn't rubbed off or anything yet even when I chipped at it, so maybe the American ones have nicer quality paint...? One thing that's bothering me are the buttons, and the screen, though, the buttons sometimes take 3-4 times to take the press, (Which makes the games kind of difficult) and the screen I can only see well with my contrast set at 2. I noticed there seems to be a piece of plastic covering the screen from dust and dirt which is nice, but is probably contributing to the problem a bit, I can see a shadow cast under the things on the screen. :/ Besides these things, my first impression of it is nice I think, it's certainly very cute, I think I'll pick up another one soon to connect with.

My TF just came in the mail a few minutes ago!! I ordered the blue BFF shell from Toys R Us.com, it took about 6 days to reach me. The packaging was a lot smaller than I expected, its about the same size as color Tama packaging? There was also a dent in the packaging, which I think is Toys R Us's fault, it came in one of those yellow mailers, but the kind without bubble wrap inside? Thats alright through, I'm not saving the packaging or anything~
imageproxy.php

The Friends to me sounds like a quieter Tama-Go?? I kind of like the sound, its pretty cute imo. ;w; The paint hasn't rubbed off or anything yet even when I chipped at it, so maybe the American ones have nicer quality paint...? One thing that's bothering me are the buttons, and the screen, though, the buttons sometimes take 3-4 times to take the press, (Which makes the games kind of difficult) and the screen I can only see well with my contrast set at 2. I noticed there seems to be a piece of plastic covering the screen from dust and dirt which is nice, but is probably contributing to the problem a bit, I can see a shadow cast under the things on the screen. :/ Besides these things, my first impression of it is nice I think, it's certainly very cute, I think I'll pick up another one soon to connect with.
I had the same thing happen to my TF's packaging when I ordered from Toys R Us a few weeks ago. Mine came in a yellow mailer as well with no bubble wrap. :/

When I started up my 2 TF's, the default contrast on both were completely different from each other. The default contrast set to 3 is way too dark. I have one set at 2 and the other is at 1. Their contrasts now both look identical. It's weird but it seems like the contrast on the TF varies with each individual toy.

I find the shadows from the screen bothersome as well. If only the TF was back-lit. Maybe someone can find a way to take one apart to install a small led behind the screen?

https://us.tamagotchifriends.com/products/

Looks like it has all the shells to me o:
The European Shell designs are international only according to the link you provided. Sadly, I don't think we'll see those other 6 designs in American Toys R US stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back