What's The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, I think Twilight is just the book people like to hate for the fun of it. Personally I don't like it, I enjoyed the first book when it came out. But that was quite a few years back and I was young.

I just found it interesting that people will not like a book just because a character doesn't set a good example. I detest some of the characters in some of my favourite books, that doesn't mean they're bad. I find the conflict engaging. Then again, if the storyline doesn't suffice, I do disengage from a story.

Take for example the characters in Shakespeare’s Othello.

Othello is easily swayed, incredibly jealous and ultimately kills his wife over false pretences.

Desdemona is naive, too kind for her own good and is deceptive to her father

Iago is the epitome of evil! He is egotistical, and manipulates people for his own good.

None of these characters are a good influence on the people reading them. Doesn't mean the book is bad, or that it's a bad influence on those reading it. You can read a book like Twilight and not strive to be like Bella.

I find it hard to hate books, but there is one - "Little Darlings" That I have still, to this day, have not been able to finish
I cannot agree more with you.

I think everyone just needs to chill out about Twilight.

There's a difference between reasonably disliking a series and hating it religiously.

It's great if you've actually read the books and know what you're talking about, but to me it just seems like the haters spend more time obsessing about the series than fans do !

Not everyone enjoys the same things. Move on, live and let live.

( I'm referring to everyone on the internet here... So please don't take it as a personal attack :| )

Erm. Anyway. To be perfectly honest I don't think I have a book which I particularly dislike.

The closest to that is Tom Sawyer... I never really got into it.

Lord have mercy on Twilight.

The girl CAN'T write. I'm telling you.

Vampire barbie- dolls who glitter in sunlight.

Nope. Sorry.

Yea, i pretty much hate all vampire books except one because its unique and has a different view of vampires, they arent all ''emo'' looking and stuff. Its called ''Marked'' should try reading it sometime.
I.Love.That.Book.

I can't even believe I tried to read Twilight, jesus it really sucked. Then I picked up Marked and it made me CRY because it was that friggin' good.

Okay, Stephanie Meyer should just hand the fame over to Carrie Jones for her book, 'Need'.

Oh, yeah. Don't flame me for this.

I don't prefer 'What Katy Did' . I mean, I like old school books and all, but the plot seemed a bit boring. ):

Let's see.. I definitely hate Twilight. Overrated and dumb.

But then I have other books I hate too..

The First book of the Hunger Games SUCKED. I loved the rest of the series, but the first book was horrible. This one made it super evident that Katniss was a sue, and worst of all, all the deaths. Did Suzanne Collins really need to go into so much detail about death in the first book? *shudders* I mean, Mockingjay had some of it, but not as bad. Glimmer and Cato's deaths.. URGH!

And then, I also hate this book called Ida B. It's about this girl who freaking talks to herself and thinks trees talk to her. And when they get cut down, she thinks they're still talking to her. I kid you not. That's how ridiculous that was. And there was A Dog's Life, too. That one started with the dog roaming the streets, hungry and dying from old age. At the end of the book, the dog is old and dying and is with this old lady and gets adopted and they live happily ever after (And it says so too). Did the author forget about the intro or something? D:

The First book of the Hunger Games SUCKED. I loved the rest of the series, but the first book was horrible. This one made it super evident that Katniss was a sue, and worst of all, all the deaths. Did Suzanne Collins really need to go into so much detail about death in the first book? *shudders* I mean, Mockingjay had some of it, but not as bad. Glimmer and Cato's deaths.. URGH!
Oh yeah. I have nightmares about Glimmer and Cato. And remember at the end with the wild dogs? Just... ugh.

Now that I think about it, I don't really hate too many books apart from the ones I mentioned earlier.

If you're smart, you won't even get me started on Twilight. Ugh. *shudders*

And Cell by Stephen King. I'm sorry, but is there a specific reason they were getting these phone calls? How did the person calling know their phone numbers? Speaking of the person calling, who would do that? And passing zombieness by cell phone? Come on! Adults say "Oh, tehe, It'll rot your brain...nono."....yeah...literally in this book. I also feel that the action started too early. The main dude's just walking in the park, and this chick gets a phone call and then she bites this other chick's neck and she dies. ...Seriously?

/rant

Lol I rant a lot sry.

Probably either David Almond's 'Skellig,' due to the fact that the plot is completely POINTLESS... I mean, it's about a young depressed boy who finds a half dead angel in his garage, discovers he has arthritis and likes Chinese food, nurses him back to health with alcohol, aspirin and Chinese food and, as a favour to the boy, the Angel (who is an old man with wings, by the way) nurses his newborn baby sister's weak heart back to health. Wow. Meaningful...

Or, there's the Twilight series. Now you've got me started, I'd better finish.

Point 1.

Stephanie Meyer is illiterate. Writing a story in which every single adjective in each paragraph means exactly the same thing indicates to me that Meyer is an avid user of Thesaurus.com.

Point 2.

Morals, or lack there of. Bella is a self conscious girl who 'falls in love' with a boy because he is 'beautiful.' Call me a cynic, but isn't that something that is meant to be DISCOURAGED?

Edward leaves his supposed 'girlfriend' for dead in the middle of the forest. Wow. What a nice guy he must be.

Point 3.

Stephanie Meyer decided that she couldn't come up with enough creative ideas to make the second 'novel' in her series long enough to be classed as a 'novel,' so she filled numerous pages with nothing but the name of each month of the year. This is also a complete waste of paper.

Point 4.

FAR too repetitive. No one wants to sit and read literally more than half of New Moon when all that is described is how Bella has constant nightmares about her beloved toy boy, while making noises as though she is being stabbed. How enthralling!

Point 5.

Bella is suicidal. What a great message to send to young teens. 'My boyfriend left me. Now I have to start riding motorbikes and jumping off cliffs. Who cares if I die?'

I could list SO many more reasons as to why I LOATHE the series, but I won't.

<3 Bronica <3

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung fu cavemen from the future

^ It's supposed to be written by two kids. It's a spin-off of the Captain Underpants series.

I read The Horse And His Boy recently, and it bored me a bit.

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk? I haven't read it. I liked the Captain Underpants Series, but I don't know if I would know.

I dislike Twilight. Mum thought it would be a wonderful and ENLIGHTENING idea to make me read all of them. Oh, yes. Now I know when I get a boyfriend and he leaves I can jump off cliffs. It taught me so very much. About how, in fact, I know lots of things. TO mucch that I'm not stating them. :Trys to hit them out of head:

... Seriously. And she made me watch the first movie >_<

I can't remember the name, but I hated this one book. It was about a dog who kissed a cat and they had these wierd cross babies. And then the dog went off and came back as a wolf (wth), and the cat didn't know it was him and tried to chase him off but then ran and got lost and the babies nuzzled their dad and also cried for their mum. It was a picture book. I had to read it to some 5 year olds.

Whale Talk and Please Stop Laughing at Me.. Both the authors came to our school (back a few years ago) We had a school-wide read this book... sorta thing. Then we'd waste 15-25 minutes (more for Whale Talk due to my teacher I had...she made class BE Whale Talk....Not the Science that we were still being tested on and crap, not a book to review or anything. Maybe 5 minutes had to do with the science)

Whale Talk- Bullied kid who had a brother on some team (Wrestling or Football I think) Kept getting picked on and I think something about being on a Swim team... I really tuned out once I finished the book in about 2 class hours...

I was attempting to ignore the teacher, yet still try to study Something about the Science chunk we were supposely learning about. I was one of the passers, go figure. Based on a real story I guess... It was one of the first books of the school wide book reading.

Please Stop Laughing at me- This girl pretty much hates herself and has a issue with her chest... Just a bunch of blah. Most people didn't believe this story at all since it was supposely real.

Most people didn't read the book, I once again finished it in 2 class hours when we had 4-5 weeks to read it. There was a quiz to this one for my class... Basically, if you read the back of the book and the very short summary about it given to us... You passed. Then got a huge heap of As for it....

BTW, These were High School Level people reading these... Oh, and we read Tree Girl, but that one was okay I guess. Not a favorite but atleast it was different. I swear they gave us way too much time to read, but my first teacher took up every minute for Whale Talk.... It was horrible and annouying. The other book, my teacher said read it if you want, if you don't whatever... otherwise study or do other homework. He was a sweet teacher... We rarely had homework from him. Helped having the extra 15-20 minutes in the morning too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only really horrible book I've ever tried to read is the Night World series. I loooooved the first story, but afterwords, the other stories were just... Boring.

Well, no, the Door in the Lake was pretty bad too. It's from this kid's point of view, who thinks he was abducted by aliens. He went a lake, saw a bright flash, and swears to everyone that he was abducted. It describes his experiences in the ship and everything, and it was kind of cool because of how descriptive it was, but the ending ruined it. It turned out that he was insane, locked up, and was really just talking about his story to the air... >.<

The series of unfortunate events- :L

and Jane Eyre- but I probably only didn't enjoy it because we were reading it at school xD

"Little Dorrit" by Charles Dickens - bored me senseless and Little Dorrit was such a bland character I became irritated with her (in fact she was the original Bella Swan...)

I struggled with the book for a few weeks and gave up without finishing it.

I couldn't stand "The Mist" by Stephen King. I love his works, I just couldn't bring myself to finish that book. Shame, too, it was only a novella. The characters were dull and bland and every chapter seemed to mention or bring in another new character, some only showing up for a page or two, and never being mentioned until the end or later on.

It was really tedious to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back