Is Bandai America Going to STOP making Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you just say TamaTown was down? AAARRGH! I was just about to join it because it sounds like so much fun and I've never been there before! Bandai is going to PAY! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That REALLY sucks. I added the "Together We Can Save Tamagotchi" slogan to my signature but now it looks as if Tamagotchi is vanishing...Please, NO, NO, NOOOO! :( :( :( :( :(
I know right! I feel the same and have never been on TamaTown :'( I e-mailed Bandai; the response was that there currently working on the situation and to keep checking back to see if its up. However there hasn't been a change and it continues with its connection issues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think the solution is simple. In order to revive tamagotchi... simply release a Tamagotchi iD L in English!!! Everyone wants one, I, personally, would be willing to pay the $109 they cost on Amazon.com if only they weren't in Japanese, so that's really all bandai has to do to revive tamagotchi. It's cost effective, because they aren't making a whole new version, just changing the language on a version that's already out, AND they don't gotta advertise much either, since most already know of the Japanese ones... once it's been announced that English versions are out, everyone will likely rush to the stores and they won't be in stock 2 minutes before they're outta stock and Bandai makes more money! Lol.

I really hope they don't stop I Love tamagotchis as well as evryone eles

The Tama-Go seems to be the last. Its been quite long since the released a new one since Tama-Go came out. :newmametchi:

Bad news guys.

It doesn't seem that Bandai will have anything Tamagotchi related at the Toy Fair this year. All I've seen reported for the Toy Fair are Power Rangers, Ben 10, Thundercats, and a new subline for Harumika.

It's a real shame that Bandai America didn't capitalize on the 15th Anniversary of Tamagotchi. I don't know what to say... this is just... :angry:

I swear, they're idjits if they don't make an English language iD L... or at least give the tama-go a colored, backlit screen! The billions of $$$ they could make from a simple change like that, refreshing the entire franchise for years to come! It is just... plain good business to put a backlit color screen tamagotchi pet out there for English speakers. After all, backlit color screen tamagotchis are so popular that many people are already paying $120 for a Japanese language iD L - and less but still a significant amount for a tamagotchi plus color - even though goodness knows it's hard to play on a game that uses a language we can't understand! So with sales like that, it is obvious to anyone with an iota of business sense that making English versions of one of them, or giving the tama-go a backlit and colored screen, would be in the best interests of the company with regards to profits. Unless, of course, they don't want to make money anymore? In which case, no one can help them.

I rest my case.

I don't understand. There are clearly many fans who don't want Tamagotchi to end, and yet they insist on giving us no updates for over a year before completely ignoring it forever? That just doesn't make sense to me. I smell a lack of initiative.

@WarOmnimon: That's definitely bad news; I'd looked them up on the Toy Fair website at the start of February and noticed that they didn't give any specifics, so I was holding out hope on the the release of a new Tamagotchi. :/

@Keleois: I don't think you quite understand something; creating an English-language iD L would solve nothing. For starters, there have been no colour Tamagotchis preceeding to lead into the iD L, especially the iD, which was the original file download Tamagotchi. Aside from that, the language in which the Tamagotchi is in doesn't make a different to a lot of Tamagotchi fans, as translations can be made, and most of the menus and such can be memorized. For example, if you picked up a Tama-Go, I'm sure you could close your eyes and easily navigate your way to the status screen, food menu, time screen, etc. You can do the same with the Japanese Tamagotchis. Just because it's in another language doesn't make it unusable. So releasing an English iD L wouldn't make much difference, it would only allow more access to the toy other than having to buy it online.

What I do support is the release of a completely new, original Tamagotchi. Color would obviously be nice, but I care more about that actual game than the color screen. The Music Star and Tama-Go for example aren't "bad" Tamagotchis because they don't have a color screen, and the Tamagotchi iD L isn't a "good" Tamagotchi because it has a color one. The Music Star and Tama-Go itself doesn't appeal to a lot because it doesn't have a lot of the features that make a Tamagotchi great, while the Tamagotchi iD L is packed with great features. I'm sure if the Tama-Go was released in colour and the iD L was in greyscale, the iD L would still be favored.

Just my two cents.

@hwd45: I agree, but we still don't know if Tamagotchi (outside of Japan) is going to be "ignored forever". For all we know, Bandai are working on a Tamagotchi, but it's just not in as phase where it's ready for showcasing at the Toy Fair. New Tamagotchi or no, there is still no excuse for why Bandai have been so quiet in updates lately; this isn't just for Tamagotchi, but all of their products. Their last announcement on their blog was in September 2011. I just wish they would either let us know if they have any plans for Tamagotchi in the future or if they're done with the franchise, and put our minds at rest, whatever the answer may be. The fact that we've received no announcements, BBCW Distributors have removed all trace of Tamagotchi from their website and only two waves of Figures were released (despite the fact that 100 were announced to be released), it's not a good sign.

@WarOmnimon: That's definitely bad news; I'd looked them up on the Toy Fair website at the start of February and noticed that they didn't give any specifics, so I was holding out hope on the the release of a new Tamagotchi. :/

@Keleois: I don't think you quite understand something; creating an English-language iD L would solve nothing. For starters, there have been no colour Tamagotchis preceeding to lead into the iD L, especially the iD, which was the original file download Tamagotchi. Aside from that, the language in which the Tamagotchi is in doesn't make a different to a lot of Tamagotchi fans, as translations can be made, and most of the menus and such can be memorized. For example, if you picked up a Tama-Go, I'm sure you could close your eyes and easily navigate your way to the status screen, food menu, time screen, etc. You can do the same with the Japanese Tamagotchis. Just because it's in another language doesn't make it unusable. So releasing an English iD L wouldn't make much difference, it would only allow more access to the toy other than having to buy it online.

What I do support is the release of a completely new, original Tamagotchi. Color would obviously be nice, but I care more about that actual game than the color screen. The Music Star and Tama-Go for example aren't "bad" Tamagotchis because they don't have a color screen, and the Tamagotchi iD L isn't a "good" Tamagotchi because it has a color one. The Music Star and Tama-Go itself doesn't appeal to a lot because it doesn't have a lot of the features that make a Tamagotchi great, while the Tamagotchi iD L is packed with great features. I'm sure if the Tama-Go was released in colour and the iD L was in greyscale, the iD L would still be favored.

Just my two cents.

@hwd45: I agree, but we still don't know if Tamagotchi (outside of Japan) is going to be "ignored forever". For all we know, Bandai are working on a Tamagotchi, but it's just not in as phase where it's ready for showcasing at the Toy Fair. New Tamagotchi or no, there is still no excuse for why Bandai have been so quiet in updates lately; this isn't just for Tamagotchi, but all of their products. Their last announcement on their blog was in September 2011. I just wish they would either let us know if they have any plans for Tamagotchi in the future or if they're done with the franchise, and put our minds at rest, whatever the answer may be. The fact that we've received no announcements, BBCW Distributors have removed all trace of Tamagotchi from their website and only two waves of Figures were released (despite the fact that 100 were announced to be released), it's not a good sign.
You misunderstood me. I singled out the iD L vs the other color/backlit tamagotchis because of the fact it's chock full of features. And it isn't the menus that make me need it to be in English. It's the startup of it - particularly the username. How am I to put in a username in a language I don't know? Then there's the instructions - which I can find online - but which I prefer to read on paper so my eyes don't go cross-eyed. I am also OCDed determined not to own anything in another language unless I can read the language it's in. Or is that part of my Autism? Anyway.

The color screen is only important because the tamagotchi characters are pretty and cute. It's a shame not to get the full effect of that in the game. Having a color screen would show exactly how cute my characters are.

As for the backlight, that I do require. The pixeled version is usable, but only barely. I can hardly see it, except when shining a light directly on the screen, or in direct sunlight. That's a problem for me.

As far as I know, all the backlit tamagotchis have color screens, and vice versa. So a tamagotchi with at least as many features as the tamago, but preferably as many as the iD L, in English would be so appreciated I'd be willing to spend anything up to $200 on one.

If they make a color tamagotchi for other places, they would make a TRILLION sales. One for everyone on earth, AND tamagotchi planet. Make more tamagotchi's!
Are you saying that there are 993 Billion Tamagotchis on the fictional Tamagotchi planet?

It also doesn't help that you can no longer email Bandai using the contact form; or, at least, I can't. I just lose connection every time I try. So, it seems it will be a while before anyone knows anything kore about Tamagotchi, considering that it is probably not going to appear at the Toy Fair and we can't seem to ask them about what's happening because their website doesn't work properly and is never updated.

It is simple to say, that maybe tamagotchi is running it's course. Yes, it was popular in 97, and Bandai released more versions, because they saw that sales were still high. Every toy runs it's popularity course. People lose interest in the toy and the company sees the sales are going down, so they stop producing. Then different toy companies create different toys that are more high tech and that toy becomes the hottest thing for some time. Look at Furby, those toys were a hit when they were released. They were flying off shelves, then after some time, nobody wanted them, then a different toy came out. All these current toys that are a hit now, will probably run it's popularity course and over time, nobody will want them and a different toy will come out and it will be the same thing over again.

Tamagotchi may still be popular in Japan and different parts of Asia, because Bandai is creating the color tamagotchi and releasing to them only and not the US. In my opinion, Bandai is being a bit selfish. They are keeping us in the dark with the tamagorchi and releasing the color tamagotchi only to Japan and different parts of Asia, and not bring it to the US. I do agree that if the color tamagotchi were to come to the US, then tamagotchi would most likely stay alive. Right now we all want the Tamagotchi + Color, Tamagotchi ID and the Tamagotchi ID L, so we buy them from eBay, and all these different websites that are based overseas in Japan. With that being said, color Tamagotchi's should come to the US.

The Toy Fair begins tomorrow and will run until the 15th. I doubt that Tamagotchi will be present at the fair, but I'm still excited. In fact, they might even announce why Tamagotchi aren't featuring at the fair. It could be good news, but it also could be bad news.

@hwd45: To be perfectly honest, I think it's more than likely that there will be neither good or bad news, but rather no news. :p

In reply to a few comments, Bandai America and Bandai Japan are two separately operated companies, to my knowledge. And all Bandai America can go on is the sales of the Tama-Go. They cannot base their statistics on the few fans in the online community and the fans in Japan as, well, they are in a different region to the intended sales market. As the Tama-Go sales might not have stacked up in comparison to their other lines (Thundercats, Power Rangers, Harumika, etc.), Bandai have obviously put a hold on all things Tamagotchi. That's not to say that they won't do anything with the franchise in the near future, but they want to focus on the things that they KNOW are doing well currently, and not HOPE that a future Tamagotchi will be a success. While its annoying to us, it's perfectly reasonable of Bandai America.

What BanDai needs is the results for a short survery I did in my class at school about what people have against Tamas. Here are the most informative results:

They're old-fashioned (grey screen, large pixels and all)

They're boring (when I described the iD L to them, they changed their mind, but iD L's don't sell in the UK)

They're girly (I must agree with the boy who said that!)

They break easily (well more like, the people who own them break them easily, but I included that one anyway)

I mean, with those four negative views of Tamagotchi, BanDai UK/America could produce a modern, exciting, gender-neutral and durable toy we all want, but their marketing isn't too good. A simple summary of my opinion: BanDai is targeting the completely wrong audience. Here we older kids, teenagers and adults are, paying $100 for iD L's from Japan, and BanDai America is struggling to attract 4-year-old girls who can't understand the Tamas. I mean, it's pathetic I think, making a toy with the design for a 5 year olds then programming it with complex games and slapping an 8+ label on the package! So either a teenager buys it and gets laughed at for the childish design or a 5 year old buys it and gets upset with the complex games and figure price for the TMGO. Neither of these would be happy!

A message to BanDai America: If you want to target young girls, make a design AND features for young girls. If it's teenagers, THE AUDIENCE WHO ARE ALREADY BEGGING FOR TAMAS AND WILL BUY ANYTHING YOU RELEASE, then make design AND features appropriate for teenagers!

It's simple! They could release a Tama-Go Giant SuperPricy Toddler Toy and we would probably buy it for $50 just for the sake of Tamagotchi! Why bother trying to attract new fans when they already have us, begging for new Tamas and making BanDai Japan rich! THEY could get all that money BanDai Japan are making out of us! It is, as someone already said, like handing over a million dollars to BanDai Japan!

~ Dazzmina ~

I expect what has happened is that BBCW messed up Bandai's orders (as we saw when only 4 of the 6 'set b' figures were released), so Bandai decided to stop using them and the recent trouble they have been through because of it has caused them to have to put their less popular brands 'on hold'.

Edit: It looks like Tamagotchi is not at the NY Toy Fair 2012 :(

I would like to see the kind of advertising and marketing here in the US that goes on in Japan. What they need are some awesome advertisers, these guys make cheapo garbage trash toys look like gold. With advertisements like that you can't walk down the street without everybody having what they sell. And since Tamagotchi are so extremely great, they should be able to sell fast.

Eh.If they do,just order from BanDai UK.What gives,guys! You'll always have at least one! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back